Tuesday, December 2, 2008

All My Sons is pretty dramatic.

In the play All My Sons, Arthur Miller, the author, shows how a man places the needs of his family before those of society.  Joe Keller is the father of the Keller family, as well as the owner of a machine parts factory.  He sells broken machine parts to the military which end up taking the lives of twenty-one pilots.  After putting the blame on his partner, who goes to prison, his son finds out and he explains to him how he did what was best for his family.  Joe tells his son, "For you! The business was for you!"(70).  Joe's life's goal was to create something for his son, otherwise he felt like his life meant nothing.  He wanted to support his family and leave his son wealthy; he didn't care about leaving anything for others in society.  Joe was a family man, a man who'd do anything for his family.  So, he killed twenty-one pilots to keep his family off of the streets.
 I don't judge Joe on what he did.  I know that if I were in his shoes, I'd try to do what was best for my family too.  Except killing innocent pilots is crossing the line.  Joe should've made a better decision but given little time he did the best he could.  Anyone would put their family first.  Some would call that selfish but deep down they wouldn't give up their children.

2 comments:

2NASH said...

I like your logic and language but would it hurt the Keller family to do a little work? They would be able to support themselves if they all worked, which is what normal people do.

abc said...

I think you have a good point. A lot of people would say that what Joe did was wrong but what would they have done in his shoes? However i also think that shipping parts out that could kill pilots was crossing the line.